Xcel Energy helps South Dakota residents save energy and money
Xcel Energy announced today the launch of several new efficiency programs in South Dakota, recently approved by the Public Utilities Commission, designed to help both residential and business customers save energy and money.
"These programs help everyone reduce energy use while also helping them meet financial and environmental goals," said Jim Clark, Xcel Energy principal manager. "People who participate in these programs will have lower energy bills, lower operating and maintenance costs and can feel good about saving energy."
Residential programs include:
- Lighting: Starting this summer, energy saving compact fluorescent light bulbs will be available for as little as $1 for a limited time at participating retailers. Each CFL saves $5 per year compared to standard incandescent bulbs.
- Ground Source Heat Pumps: This program is available to residents who heat their homes with electricity in areas where natural gas is not available. The system needs to be used for both space heating and cooling. Residents buying and installing high-efficiency ground source heat pumps are eligible for rebates of up to $300 per ton (with no tonnage maximum).
- Saver's Switch (continuation of existing program): Residents with central air conditioning are eligible to have a remote-controlled switch installed near the cooling unit. Xcel Energy cycles off air conditioners for 10-15 minute periods during extremely hot days when energy use is at its peak. Participants get a 15 percent discount on monthly electricity bills from June through September and can also enroll a qualifying electric water heater for additional rebates.
- Consumer Education: Xcel Energy has allotted money for its representatives to educate residential customers living in Xcel Energy service communities in the greater Sioux Falls area about ways to save energy and money.
Business programs include:
- Lighting: Lighting can account for up to 40 percent on monthly energy bills in a business. Business owners who install high-efficiency lighting are eligible for rebates through a lighting retrofit or new construction program.
- Saver's Switch (existing program): Similar to the residential program, Saver's Switch allows Xcel Energy to cycle air conditioning units off for short periods of time on the summer's hottest days. Monthly discounts apply whether the systems are ever cycled off.
- Peak and Energy Control (existing program): Businesses that can reduce their demand by 50 kilowatts or greater at Xcel Energy's request can qualify for tremendous savings on annual demand charges.
- Businesses can also contact Xcel Energy to learn what programs might work best for them.
"Xcel Energy is proud to offer these rebate programs to our customers," said Clark. "In the last 20 years, with the help of businesses and residents, Xcel Energy has avoided building 12 medium-sized power plants in our eight-state service territory so we know these efficiency efforts are making a big difference."
Information provided by Xcel Energy